How to Change Your Name on a British Passport

Changing your name on a British passport can be necessary for various reasons, such as marriage, divorce, gender change, or personal preference. This guide will walk you through the process, ensuring you have all the information you need to update your passport seamlessly.

Reasons for Changing Your Name on a Passport

You might need to change your name on your passport if:

  • You got married
  • You got divorced
  • You changed your gender
  • You decided to change your name for personal reasons

Overview of the Application Process

The process of changing your name on your passport involves applying for a new passport with your updated name. Here’s a step-by-step guide:

  1. Decide if You Need a Deed Poll
  2. Choose How to Apply (Online or Paper application)
  3. Gather Required Documents
  4. Submit Your Application

Applying for a New British Passport

Online Application

  • Cost: £75.00
  • Link to apply online: Apply for a UK Passport
  • Check and Send Service: Available at post offices for an additional £16.00

Paper Application

  • Cost: £85.00
  • Check and Send Service: Available at post offices for an additional £16.00
Using the Post Office Check and Send Service
  • Visit a post office that offers Check and Send services.
  • They will verify your application, ensure you have included all necessary documents, and send your application to HM Passport Office.

Required Documents

General Documents

  • Completed passport application form
  • Recent passport photos
  • Current passport (if you have one)

Additional Documents Based on Situation

Marriage or Civil Partnership:

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate


  • Signed statement of reverting to previous name
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Decree absolute or final order
  • Proof of using new name (e.g., bank statement, payslip)

Gender Change:

  • New birth or adoption certificate showing acquired gender
  • Gender Recognition Certificate
  • Doctor’s letter confirming permanent gender change
  • Deed poll (if applicable)
  • Proof of using new name (e.g., bank statement, payslip)

Deed Poll Name Change:

  • Deed poll document
  • Additional document proving name change (e.g., driver’s license, tax record, payslip)

Applying for a Deed Poll

If you need a deed poll, you can apply online via our application form. A deed poll legally confirms your new name and is required if you change your name for reasons other than marriage or divorce.

Contacting HM Passport Office

For any questions or assistance, contact HM Passport Office:

  • Phone: 0300 222 0000
  • Outside the UK: +44 (0) 300 222 0000
  • Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
  • Postal Address: Her Majesty’s Passport Office, PO Box 767, Southport, PR8 9PW
  • Operating Hours:
    • Monday to Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM
    • Weekends and public holidays: 9 AM to 5:30 PM

Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Your Name on Your Passport

  1. Decide if You Need a Deed Poll:
    • Necessary for personal name changes, first-time applications with a new name, separation (but not divorce), etc.
  2. Choose Application Method:
    • Online or paper application.
    • Utilize Post Office Check and Send services for convenience.
  3. Gather Required Documents:
    • Depending on your situation, collect necessary documents (marriage certificate, deed poll, etc.).
  4. Submit Your Application:
    • Complete and submit your application online or at a post office.

Additional Considerations

  • Unexpired Visas: Contact the embassy of the issuing country to check the validity of visas under your old name.
  • Child’s Passport Name Change: Requires a deed poll, old passport, proof of new name usage, parental consent, and new photos.


Changing your name on your British passport involves understanding the specific documents required for your situation, deciding on the application method, and following the necessary steps to submit your application. For any queries or assistance, the HM Passport Office is available to help.

For more detailed information, you can visit the official HM Passport Office website.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Get 10% OFF Your Deed Poll Order Today Using Code DP10

Get 10% off now!
Scroll to Top